You are being redirected to globalinnes.com

Friday, May 25, 2007

Stop hassling the Hoff!

But first: Housekeeping:

  • I leave tommorow. I'm going to try to write a couple of blogs today and have Dena post them while I am gone, so keep your eyes open for new installments.
  • I'll even try to post an update while I am in the jungle.
  • Had a good lunch with aft mentioned people yesterday. A plan to develop a Youth Ministry Leadership Training Program in Peru keeps truckin along and gaining momentum.
And now:

I know I have blogged about this in the past... the distant past. And I realize that this really has no relevance to missions whatsoever. But this blog (as an entity, not this specific post) is 1 part updating on ministry and 1 part me staying connected with the outside world.

That said, why are we so obsessed with celebrities?

Hasselhoff gets drunk and eats a sandwich (I think?) off the floor and the world is glued to their TV's criticizing the man for being under the influence, but we don't bat an eye to the alcoholism that is tearing families and communities apart in our town.

Britney Spears has a breakdown and gos to rehab and we call her a bad mom, but we hardly bat an eye to the physical child abuse that happens in our own neighborhood.

It's almost as though, as a collective species, we would rather watch Entertainment Tonight than write a letter to our government about the crisis in Darfur, would rather read the tabloids that judge and destroy the lives of celebrities than whatever scriptures we claim guide our life, which in most cases teach love, acceptance, peace and tolerance.

Why can't we stop obsessing over the lives of those we cannot affect, and focus on the lives around us that we have been given the opportunity and responsibility to impact?

What have we become?

2 comments:

Jo said...

i like this post. savedarfur.org!

i have sent/helped the seminary to raise money to send, written government officials, AND have the bumper sticker. :)
Word.

Elliott said...

Props to Jo.

About Me

My photo
I'm a quarter aged youth/missions guy living and serving in Lima, Peru with my wife (Dena), son (Micaiah) and daughter (Shaylee).

Blog Archive