You are being redirected to globalinnes.com

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Websites I Love:

  • Facebook and Gmail
    • I'm including these together simply because they don't need much description. They are both great sites. Fun to use, easy and in my opinion, essential. Facebook connects you with friends and gives you a place to brag about how cute your kids are or what you ate for breakfast, Gmail is the easiest and best functioning email client available.
  • Get Fuzzy
    • You haven't lived until you have spend some time with Bucky, Satchel, and Rob.
  • Pearls Before Swine
    • No, it's not Whitey's blog (though that's a good read too), this is another great comic strip about a bunch of animals with personalities that you can't tear yourself away from.
  • Relevant Magazine
    • A pomo/emerging targeted media group aimed at tackling the issues that face believers today. Goes way beyond "5 steps to a Happy Sunday School Class" and deals with topics that actually affect us day by day. Be sure to check out the slices for quick and fun reads or get involved in one of the many discussion board threads. But above all, subscribe to the podcast... it is simply AMAZING!
  • Macworld
    • Next to Get Fuzzy, Facebook and Gmail, the only other site I check on a daily basis almost without fail. If you have been caught up in this whimsical cult of mac ownership, you understand why reading about the latest Mac news would be such an exciting thing.
  • BibleGateway
    • Because of this website, I've not prepared a sermon with a physical Bible in front of me since college. It includes searchable copies of hundreds of versions at your fingertips (not to mention in dozens of languages), as well as public domain commentaries and other resources.
  • Matt Rose's Blog
    • Often interesting, if not entertaining blog complete with a list of blogs from college classmates who I forgot existed.
  • EMQ Online
    • The holy grail of missiology journals. Subscription based ($15 a year) but worth every penny.
  • Digg
    • A site I am just getting into. Has interesting stories that may not make it onto the typical news outlets, as well as a healthy heap of tech and Mac related news.
  • Wikipedia
    • Because sometimes it's fun to learn.


Websites I Hate:
  • MySpace
    • In the words of Matt Rose (see above), "MySpace is great for stalking people." but not much else.
  • MSN and Hotmail, and any other Microsoft based website
    • Microsoft can make a decent operating system, but is lousy at the whole internet thing. It just feels awkward to use these sites. Maybe it's because I love Macs so much and I just feel like I am in bed with the enemy, but something just doesn;t gel right with them.
  • Church Websites
    • I don't have a link here, simply because to list them individually would be tiresome. I have seen only a small handful (seriously... I think I can count 5) of church websites that I actually think were well thought out and informative. The rest seem to fall into one of two categories: 1. The Board asked a 13 year old with MS Frontpage on his home PC to design it over the course of a weekend. or 2. The church spent between $2,000-$4,000 developing a website that would be "seeker friendly" and hasn't been updated since March of 2005
  • Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
    • My home town, which I love, has a website that looks like something the poorly drawn seagull in the title dragged out to sea to die.
  • World's Worst Website
    • I debated putting this one in here because I understand it's a spoof. It looks like this guy designed Yarmouth's website. But to spend more than 1.21 seconds on this site leaves you with a feeling of dread and despair.
  • mp3.com
    • A website that has been around as long as I have used the net. You seem to get directed to it anytime your try to search for mp3's online but in reality it is cumbersome to use and impossible to find any bands that are the least bit mainstream (I like some indy, but need something to pull me back to reality once in a while).
  • There are others.
Feel free to list your favorite and most hated websites.

4 comments:

matthew said...

Hey, thanks for the shoutout!

I concur about biblegateway. It's faster than flipping pages. very handy. And you're so right to place facebook on the top list and myspace on the bottom.

And most church websites do stink. I actually just switched ours over to a blog. I figured if it's going to stink it might as well be absolutely free!

As for my favorite websites, I love message boards so my regular stops are:

bibleforums.org
buffalorange.com
hockeysfuture.com

Other sites I visit regularly are

bbc blogs
biblegateway.com
facebook.com
netflix.com
imdb.com
thenarrowpath.com

Elliott Innes said...

I love message boards. Especially the one on relevantmagazine.com, but I just cant find the time to keep up with them.

Robin said...

HA! I love the World's Worst Website! Such a great example of EVERYTHING not to do!

Heather Durkee said...

relevant podcast makes me laugh outloud. Adam wonders what's wrong with me sometimes! I love it.

I am going to subscribe to their magazine next year.

About Me

My photo
I'm a quarter aged youth/missions guy living and serving in Lima, Peru with my wife (Dena), son (Micaiah) and daughter (Shaylee).

Blog Archive